Sequence of works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have just bought a house and want to get moved into it by mid-July. Everything needs doing. Can anyone help me with the sequence of works? I've started getting quotes but I just want one trades person in at a time and in the best order.

Here's my list:

Full electrical rewire
Full central heating
Taking down chimney and chimney breast
Building wardrobes on the old chimney breast wall
Replace two bathroom suites
New kitchen
Double glazing
Replace all doors, architraves and skirting
Remove and replace all ceilings
Plastering/skimming to the majority of the house

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Do all the ripping out and removing furniture/carpets first, it is often beneficial to have the electrician and plumbers in doing first at the same time, as they both will need access the floor and ceiling voids whilst it is open. Once they have completed their first fix, you can start thinking about the double glazing, then plastering.
Then it would time to consider the joinery work (kitchen, skirting, doors etc..)
Then get the electrician and plumber back for second fix, I would recommend that the painting/decorating priming has also taken place prior to second fix, but would recommend that the top coat paint is left till the end.

Do all the ripping out and removing furniture/carpets first, it is often beneficial to have the electrician and plumbers in doing first at the same time, as they both will need access the floor and ceiling voids whilst it is open. Once they have completed their first fix, you can start thinking about the double glazing, then plastering.
Then it would time to consider the joinery work (kitchen, skirting, doors etc..)
Then get the electrician and plumber back for second fix, I would recommend that the painting/decorating priming has also taken place prior to second fix, but would recommend that the top coat paint is left till the end.

Thanks. The place is already empty of carpets and furniture.

So do I get the ceilings taken down first and then get the electrician and central heating engineer in? Do electricians take down ceilings?

Yes the ceilings need to be removed, some electricians may remove them, but not in the job title. I would expect the ceilings to be removed by the plaster or a labourer.

Sponsored Links
And now is the time to start planning.

Before your first fix electrics and plumbing you need to have a clear plan of the final fittings - for both trades to lay first fix cables and pipework they will need to know where all the fittings will be going.

Type of lighting and location
Switching arrangements and locations
power outlets - no. and type
Telephone/network cabling
TV aerial/Satellite points
Outside lighting
Smoke/fire detectors
Gas or electric cooking/ovens/hobs etc
Number, type and location of kitchen appliances
Showers/baths/toilet locations
Boiler location and type/unvented system/combi/vented
Radiator locations (plumber should be able to advise size required)
Underfloor heating?
Outside taps?

The more detailed your plan now, the less expensive it will be - modifications after first fix will cost extra and can be disruptive

Deffo the first trades (after the ripping out grunt work is done) is plumb and leccy. My preference is the plumber initially because it is more difficult to thread pipes around cables than it is to thread cables around pipes and the leccy can earth bond the pipes. And then we can all make tea.

However, if there are any structural alterations or additions (extensions, stud walls, wall knock-outs, steel beams etc), these need to be done before either of the two trades above.

And if an extension is built, it is always handy if entry route is formed for the services to come into that area, especially if a slab is to be poured.
Other things to consider whilst floors are up, is an intruder alarm, sensor spots and door contacts, plus any outside socket outlets. I would also recommend that you ask the electrician to install 35mm backboxes, this will allow for greater variety of face plates to be installed. Then there is also outhouses/garage power to consider and even electric gates may be something you want either now or in the future, so provision for that can be made.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back