Sewage smell, neighbours stench pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just completed a self build and moved in. I built it in my garden, split off the land and sold off my old house. Before we built the house I noticed a sewage smell in the far corner but put this down to a pond I filled in when I moved in. Last summer my rear neighbour erected a large stench pipe and I can only presume it was for a septic tank.

Since I have built my new house I have really started to notice the sewage smell, don't know if it is the new house blocking the fumes escaping or what. However, is there anything that can be done to stop the smell?

I friend has mentioned a vent he has put on his stench pipe for his drains, as he built a conservatory around it! Does anybody know if there is anything I can do or a vent that could be purchased to stop the foul smell. I'm prepared to buy it for him to install.

Regards

Neil.

Sponsored Links
Do you have mains drainage for your new house and the old house ?

If not and your neighbour has a septic tank then maybe that pond was part of the soak away system for one or more septic tanks.

Both are main drains. There wasn't any pipes feeding the pond. There is also an old wall with substantial footings between the 2 properties.

Thanks

Neil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back