Shaver - Lighting circuit with no earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had the bathroom retiled and took off the old shaver socket / transformer to find a circuit with no earth, so presumably it\\\'s off the lighting.

Sparky told me I could:

Get a shaver socket that didn\\\'t need an earth

OR get one that did need earth and screw earth connection to a hole in the backplate.

Is he correct ?!

Also - are there any such sockets that fit in a standard light switch size hole, as this is in the wall already, and I rather not dig out a bigger hole for the larger sockets more commonly seen (with fixing screws at top and bottom rather than the sides) {the ones on screwfix all seemed too big, and holes top and bottom)

Thanks, Dan

Sponsored Links
Perhaps it might be a lot easier to buy a combined lamp and shaver socket unit - one that is safe for bathroom use. I think Screwfix has a range of those, too. B&Q and Wickes certainly do.
Shaver sockets that are suitable for bathroom use in the UK use an isolating transformer, which is why they are so big (so won't fit the switch pattress, mainly because of depth) and expensive.

Wintonian said:
Perhaps it might be a lot easier to buy a combined lamp and shaver socket unit - one that is safe for bathroom use. I think Screwfix has a range of those, too. B&Q and Wickes certainly do.
Shaver sockets that are suitable for bathroom use in the UK use an isolating transformer, which is why they are so big (so won't fit the switch pattress, mainly because of depth) and expensive.

Thanks, yes was thinking this...will the combined lamp/ shaver need to be earthed ? (as my lighting circuit does not have one)

Sponsored Links
danp said:
Wintonian said:

Thanks, yes was thinking this...will the combined lamp/ shaver need to be earthed ? (as my lighting circuit does not have one)

more than likely yes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back