Shed Building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all im looking for some advise on a project i have planned to do this summer (if it comes) , as my current shed is getting old and started to lean dramatically

i have done a few quick sketches of what i want on google sketchup but nothing is set in stone

the peak on the roof is nearly 3 meters high
and to the eaves is 2.4m
i'm not set on this type of roof , would a sloped flat roof be better ?
what would be the best cladding to use ?

the seperate area to the right i plan to use for storing my gardening equipment as i mainly intend to use this shed as a type of hobbie area

i plan on using 2x4 's for the studs ( i have quite a few laying around )
ive currently planned it out with 400mm center - center spacing's or would 600mm be adequate ?

i plan to have a full concrete base and a floating floor will this be okay ?
Damp proof membrane on outside of studs then wood battens laid on top and cladding nailed onto those.

im also thinking of fully insulating the shed with 50mm cellotex insulation between the studs,
am i correct in thinking that the foil on the insulation creates the vapour barrier when joined togther with foil tape ???

Sponsored Links
I don't know about building methods but if you're building close to the boundary as your drawing indicates and depending on the area of the build and any other existing structures, there may be Planning Permission / Permitted Development considerations:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/

hi thanks for the link, seems really helpful .. i don't think planning would be a problem considering my existing shed is close to the boundary line and is quite a way over the height regulations , and my surrounding neighbors have outbuildings taller than regulation

Looks like a great design, I would opt for a sloping roof for ease of access, ie maintenance. Pity you couldn,t incorporate a window into it.
Regards Otto

Sponsored Links
Looks like a great design, I would opt for a sloping roof for ease of access, ie maintenance. Pity you couldn,t incorporate a window into it.
Regards Otto

Hi thanks, i started designing a flat roofed version but not in detail yet as im not to sure of the spacing between the studs ...
i was thinking of running perspex along the top above the doorway and walls as id like to keep all wall space for storage
the shed is south facing aswell :D
I also have a nice set of french patio doors im thinking of fitting which would hopefully let in plenty of light.

i know this one looks different from the other one but this was just a quick design i threw up to show my window idea.
if anyone has any interesting designs for letting light in please share

i don't think planning would be a problem considering my existing shed is close to the boundary line and is quite a way over the height regulations , and my surrounding neighbors have outbuildings taller than regulation

regulations are not retrospective
what is already there come under the regulations at time off building
so your assumption is not correct

now having said that if you exceed what is allowed and no one notices or complains then nothing will happen
but at your risk off course

;)

regulations are not retrospective
what is already there come under the regulations at time off building
so your assumption is not correct

now having said that if you exceed what is allowed and no one notices or complains then nothing will happen
but at your risk off course

;)

yeah i know but ill risk it considering 2 of my neighbors have only just built there sheds, so if they complain ill dob them in ;)

its more likely to be someone say 2 gardens down without a high shed
getting cheesed with the spread off large sheds :D

i was thinking of running perspex along the top above the doorway and walls as id like to keep all wall space for storage

Would this perspex not make insulating the rest of the building a waste of time, or are you planning on trying to insulate this aspect as well?

Just a thought...

Would this perspex not make insulating the rest of the building a waste of time, or are you planning on trying to insulate this aspect as well?

Just a thought...

Hi yeah i was thinking about this and i don't really know what to do instead
unless i come across some double glazed windows .... or maybe even think about losing some wall space for a big window still not really to sure.

I have made up a few more models of a sloped shed with a blank south facing wall, so any ideas what people come up with i can just place them in and try and get everything together to make it in a few months time :)

go for a big south facing window
a god send in the winter on a sunny day will add heat not a lot but worth while
also reduce the time you need the lighting especially if you have your main work area under the window

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back