Shed enquiry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An elderly relative has asked me to take down her existing wooden garden shed and replace it with a new one.

Her old shed is a 10 year old, 7x5 feet B and Q job which is about to disintegrate, and she wants a pent, single pitch timber shed of the same size to replace it. I've never bought a shed in my entire life, and although it seems a pretty simple project I'm open to any advice on potential pitfalls to avoid when considering type of construction, sourcing, making a base, securing, siting etc?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It's worth working out what caused the old shed to disintegrate. I recently took down the old shed in my garden, and that rotted due to dampness coming up from below. So my main task in planning the replacement shed is ensuring the base isn't going sit in water, so I've been building up the plot raise it high enough to keep dry.

Smashing an old shed to pieces is quite fun, it lugging the remain to the tip which is a bit tedious.

Thanks, Dave, I'll bear the dampness issue in mind.

Yes, quite looking forward to breaking up the old one but not the mess that transporting it to the tip is going to make of my car, even if I bag it up.

Whilst browsing the online outlets that supply sheds, I've noticed various terms being used in connection with shed construction--overlap, shiplap, feather edge--the latter of which, I believe, is the cheapest and shortest-lived option. Just wondered whether anyone could recommend which option to go for to achieve a combination of good price, maximum durability and long life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back