Sheet timber for boarding out loft!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

After havign the 200mm insulation installed in our loft, I'm havign to place timber joist perpindiclur to the existign joists in order to get the height to place boarding. Any suggestions on what sheet timber I should use to board it out in a cost effective way. I am leaning towards 18mm standrad grade chip board, bought as 2.4m sheets and cut accordingly length ways in order to get it through the loft hatch. Not so keen on the shorted tongue and grove loft boards you get.

Is chip board likely to warp in a loft?

Sponsored Links
The large sheets might me more cost effective, but a 2.4m x 600mm (don't buy those silly 1.2 m boards unless that's all you can get through your trap door ) chipboard sheet will save you a lot of cutting time and will fit through all but the smallest of trap doors, then when you push the tongues and grooves together will be a lot stronger than butted together normal chipboard, all T & G chipboard is already moisture resistant these days, don't know that your full 18mm sheets will be, also depends what your going to put on it and how often your going to go on it (useable room or just storage ), unless your new joist are quite close together (400 mm centers), and if you don't put noggings under the butted edges ,it will definitely bend at the joints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back