Shield anchor bolts for hanging kitchen cupboards????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I have to hang 3 new wall cupboards in the kitchen, as the old ones were pulling from the wall. There are old wood batons on the wall, but the new cupboards are the wall bracket/wall plate type, and don't fit where the old ones did. I'm going to order a cabinet hanging rail to make life easier. The wall is masonry, and i have no idea how good it is.

So i was wondering, would using shield anchor bolts be the best best for fixing the cabinet rail to the wall? Or is this overkill? If something like rawlbolts are good enough, what size/guage should i use and how far apart? I'm guessing something like an M10 x 50mm. Is that ok? or are there any other ideas that might work better?

Kinda need an answer as soon as possible, so please help!!!!!

Tracy

Sponsored Links
8mm diameter rawlplugs, Tracy - and a 5 gauge screw if you possibly can.
Dont drill 8mm from the start - use a 5 or 6mm drill first.
John :)

So you think plugs and screws will be fine? Will it be sturdy enough? 5 gauge screw? The holes in the cabinet hanging rail are 6mm diameter, so 5 gauge will be too small won't it? It maybe cheeky, but is there anyway you could post a screwfix link for the right things????

Thanks!

I'd be inclined to fix a bearer (length of 2"x1" timber maybe) for the base of the cabinets to stand on while you do the marking etc.....get this dead level and the rest of the job should be fine. When you're done, bearer off and fill the screw holes.
Screws - Screwfix 36634, plugs, 90467.
Of course, situations vary.....depth of drill hole etc and how well the screw grips in the plug. I've just given you an example here.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. I think i'm having a blonde girly moment; very confused lol

The screws you suggested are for wood, but i will need masonry as thats what the walls are. Sorry for being stupid, but if the plugs are 8mm diameter, shouldn't the screws be 8mm too?

I can't use a bearer, as the walls are all fully tiled, and i suspect if i take out some tiles, the whole lot will tumble (it's the house that jack built on a friday afternoon lol)

Wood screws into wall plugs is a standard method of fixing into masonry walls. The secret is not to drill the hole too big so the plug fits snugly and the screw will expand the plug as it tightens, as described above.

The brackets will hold firmly in the wall so long as it isn't crumbling when you drill. The 3 screws in each bracket give a good strong fixing.

You need to mark out accurately where the brackets will sit behind each cabinet. Line them up with a good spirit level and fix all in place before you hang the cupboards on them. Then fix the cabinets together either with the couplers provided in most kitchens units or by fixing through behind the hinges (my preferred method). Use the adjusters to fine tune the alignment so they are all level and square.

Thats great, thank you so much for your help!

I shall get the M5 screws with the fischer plugs as you suggested. I've read that if the wall is slightly crumbly, you can fill the hole with no nails before inserting the plug/screw and leave it to dry overnight, before hanging the cabinets. Is that a suitable way of doing it or would i need to rethink the whole fixing?

The cabinets i have have the couplers, but the new cupboards have the behind hinge method, so i will try to get it done that way.

Thanks again :D

Thanks for your reply. I think i'm having a blonde girly moment; very confused lol

The screws you suggested are for wood, but i will need masonry as thats what the walls are. Sorry for being stupid, but if the plugs are 8mm diameter, shouldn't the screws be 8mm too?

I can't use a bearer, as the walls are all fully tiled, and i suspect if i take out some tiles, the whole lot will tumble (it's the house that jack built on a friday afternoon lol)

Just to help you on your way.....the plugs need an 8mm diameter hole in the masonry, using a masonry drill. The screws are gripping in the plastic plug, not the wall....if the screws were 8mm diameter they would be hellish difficult to turn.
No nails is a good idea to help things along.
The screws these days are pozidriv, so buy a quality screwdriver too....PZ2 is the size I think.
If you can't use a bearer, be very accurate with your drilling!
Good luck with your project!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back