Shiplap size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I'm building a wendy house and want to clad the frame in ship lap. Im just planning at the moment and wanted to know what size the shiplap is when its joined.

I.e. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Cladding-Shiplap+Heritage/Shiplap-Cladding/invt/120806

something like that 12mm thick, 1.8m long and 121mm height, but whats the 'actual' height when its joined as I assum you lose a few mills. Does that make any sense or shall I get my coat?

Also, havent really built something this potentially complicated before but done a fair bit of bishbashbosh diy and timber stuff. Are there any golden rules that are particulary useful when building a glamourised garden shed?

Sponsored Links
Dunno about the overlap, just buy 10% more than you need, as a safe margin of error.
Get some treated 2x1 to act as cover pieces for the corners, to protect the end grain.

dont know about the wicks txg shiplap

but the stuff i got from my timber yard [same start size 5"]121mm

plan on 111mm coverage it may be more it may be less
mines went down to 108 and up to114mm dependant on moisture content
so if you pitch at the average at 111 you will have loose joints but still tight tounges at 108 but enough expansion when wet/damp

so go to your wood yard get it up to 4.2 and 4.8 m lengths [and others ]to save joints

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=workshop001.jpg

Sponsored Links
By the way, good looking shed you got there big and reading a thread you posted on in 2004 I'll stay away from the warm cider.

On a general topic, I'm really keen to improve my woodworking skills - what book / resource would you recommend Big to learn some basic joinery skills? (I did metal work at school - I can work a forge like a lord but everything I build from wood has a touch of Frank Spencer about it....)

this one we built for a customer. The timber worked out at about £350 plus vat.

The floor was built on a 4 x 2 frame, overlayed with 19mm TGV.

The sides were built as panels, from 2 x 2 timber and overclad with 16mm TGV.

They were then all put up and screwed together, with 2 x 2 roof joists across the top.

12mm wbp ply for the roof, with felt on, and then all the trimmings.

If you do each side as a panel, it is easy to construct on a flat piece of the garden and tyou can make the sides up so they are a copy of each other.

DONT GET THE TIMBER FROM WICKES! there stuff is pants, its the stuff that decent timber merchants reject, followed by the likes of Travis Perkins, who reject it, and then wickes buy it. Get the picture!
SV501263.jpg

SV501259.jpg

SV501261.jpg

that took a day and a half for two of us to do, and it still worked out cheaper than the one she was going to buy on the internet!

By the way, good looking shed you got there big and reading a thread you posted on in 2004 I'll stay away from the warm cider.

On a general topic, I'm really keen to improve my woodworking skills - what book / resource would you recommend Big to learn some basic joinery skills? (I did metal work at school - I can work a forge like a lord but everything I build from wood has a touch of Frank Spencer about it....)

L O L warm cider :D

to be honest i am not a great reader of books

to be honest i am fortunate enough to have a great thought proccess that allows me solve problems and even some good ideas come into my head ;)

to be honest i am fortunate enough to have a great thought proccess that allows me solve problems and even some good ideas come into my head ;)

he rates himself at light to medium trade :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

cheers big all. It was done 3 days before christmas, and we had to wrap it up after completion to hide it from the kids. We also made the door framing around the top, easily adaptable, so in years to come the dad copuld reclaim it as a shed/office!

he rates himself at light to medium trade :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

cheers big all. It was done 3 days before christmas, and we had to wrap it up after completion to hide it from the kids. We also made the door framing around the top, easily adaptable, so in years to come the dad copuld reclaim it as a shed/office!

i nearly started my comment in that vane l o l

like you i like to give added value or ideas like conversion to other uses when present use finnishes

or my favorate plinths as hidden drawers or secret pannels hidden behind drawers ect for keeping valuables safe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back