Shock from water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are getting a slight tingle/shock from the hot water not the tap but the water any ideas.
Also gas board came today to check the boiler & engineer said that all our sockets were wired right but had reversed polarity, neutral is pin is now live, live pin is now neutral, so he has rewired the plug to the boiler to this configuration. He said this sometimes happens on older properties (1930 ish).
Any help or explanations would be helpful Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Id report the engineer, and I would get a full electrical inspection done immediatley..

You have serious problems if Live and neutral are reversed.

David

As said get the engineer reported he souldn't have left the boiler plugged in letalone changing the wiring of it so the boiler would run.
Get the electrics checked out to day !
If the polarity of the circuit has been changed, any appliance that you use now has a redundant fuse in it (it will not blow under fault conditions) the phase/live voltage will continue to flow via the neutral pin of the plug a serious danger.
If the problem is with hot water only the fault could be with your immersion due to the circuits reverse polarity ?

Assuming that the tap is metal, any ideas why the tingle comes from the water and not from the tap?

Sponsored Links
My first house, built in 1928, had live and neutral transposed, before the meter.

I could have got free electricity by running a circuit between "neutral" and earth. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back