shock when touching sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched through other threads with similar keywords to this but they don't seem to have the exact problem.

When i touch my kettle and sink i get a shock (continuous shock until i let go).
I tested the voltage with a multimeter and it came out at about 60ac. I investigated further and it does it with other appliances too and also another socket. So if i touch anything plugged into either of these 2 sockets and the sink (or the cooker for that matter) i get a shock. But if i touch the two appliances plugged into these sockets at the same time, i don't get a shock. The same is true even if the switches of the sockets are off.

Sounds like an earth problem to me. Do you reckon it would be a long job for a spark to rectify? The CU is very close to the sockets if that has any bearing on the issue.

Thanks v. much for any help

Sponsored Links
Probably missing earth - and dangerous.

How long to fix? impossible to tell - kitchen fitters and DIYers do horrible things.

Maybe the earth has dropped off an accessible socket on the ring so maybe an hour.
Maybe someone has buried a piece of choc block in the wall behind some tiles. Maybe a couple of days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back