Shoddy work?? UPDATED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I hope someone can give me their opinion! I've recently had a new tiled pitched roof put on my garage as the previous felt roof failed.

The builder appeared to know what he was talking about but now i'm not so sure!

The roof is a 31 degree pitch, using renown tiles from Redland. The problem arises as the garage widens towards the rear of the property by 2 foot. I thought that the tiles would be put on in rows and then the last row would be cut to meet the edge of the roof. However they seem to have managed to fan the tiles out at the rear. Is this normal?

The result is that there appears to be a big kink in the roof. The overlap is only 1.5 inch on each tile which the builder says is sufficient -i'm not so sure. We are having leaks and I'm getting stressed.

The flashing look a bit poor and the join onto the neighbours roof is definately poor quality.

We want him to put the rows straight (in line with house wall) and put an extra row of tiles in and do the cut at the bottom to shape (rather than fan the tiles out).

The guild of master craftsmen says he's never been registered with them, despit this being on their advert.

Sorry for the long post. here's some pics!!

cimg0042lc1.jpg

cimg0043vy5.jpg

cimg0044zt6.jpg

cimg0045yj4.jpg

cimg0046kc4.jpg

cimg0047lc1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Oh dear :cry:

I'm sorry that's a cowboy job :cry:

Ring up for another decent roofer for their free opinion.

The minimum headlap should be 75mm (3") for that reason alone the roof has to be taken off and relaid.
Sorry
Good luck

if thats a 31 deg roof pitch i'll eat my hat!

as the guys have said even if it were a 31 deg pitch, 75mm headlap would be a minimum.

your roof looks very shallow, maybe 18 deg.

for this you would expect the tiles to have 100mm head lap and be suitable for the pitch.

marley tiles do a "wessex" which is ideal for shallow pitch roof's although a little ugly.

tell the tight wad builder to tighten up his gauge and buy a few more tiles!

Sponsored Links
Well the builder came around today to discuss the problems and rectification.

He would not discuss it at all got his lads on the roof without our consent. We told him that we wanted time to think about any of his plans (which he wouldn't discuss with us!), he became very agrressive and threatened violence against my father. He stormed off and said solicitors will be in touch (for what I don't know as he has already been paid!)

The pitch is approx 15-20 degrees, not as specified on the contract. The batons and/or the tiles have not been done correctly.
The roof leaks. Theres half a dozen broken tiles. Some tiles don't fit at all and have been badly laid. The Tiles apparently are wrong for the pitch of the roof.

What a bad experience!

noseall said:
if thats a 31 deg roof pitch i'll eat my hat!

as the guys have said even if it were a 31 deg pitch, 75mm headlap would be a minimum.

your roof looks very shallow, maybe 18 deg.

for this you would expect the tiles to have 100mm head lap and be suitable for the pitch.

marley tiles do a "wessex" which is ideal for shallow pitch roof's although a little ugly.

tell the tight wad builder to tighten up his gauge and buy a few more tiles!

sorry, typo. :oops:

It is a pity we paid him. On first inspection by a lay person it looks quite nice. Hence balance of payment.

Only really noticed what was wrong when it rained.

Lucky we have very good trading standards where we live and we have made an appointment to see them next week. They will be interested about his false claim that he is part of the guild of master craftsment (the GOMC have also reported him to trading standards). There's obviously been other unhappy customers.

Thanks again!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back