Should a granite wall ever be tanked?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a granite gable wall where the wall is maybe half subterranean as it is build into a hill. The wall appears to have been tanked (or perhaps just whitewashed or painted) around about 32 years ago, before the previous owners built a partition wall in front of it when installing a new kitchen.

I have now exposed this wall and plan to leave the chimney breast exposed but frame, insulate (PIR) and plasterboard the alcoves.

I see conflicting reports online as to whether it is appropriate to tank granite at all. The wall currently has clear signs of water ingress but, given the last intervention was 32 years ago, we discovered minimal damp in the base plate when removing the partition.

I’m wondering whether I should apply a tanking slurry to the alcoves, or do nothing, before covering them up?

Photos attached are whole wall and closeup of alcove.

Thanks

JB

Attachments

• IMG_1501.jpeg
    IMG_1501.jpeg
    337.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1504.jpeg
    IMG_1504.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 37
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back