Should I adjust Telepost or Leave alone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently working on the second phase of a basement renovation for our home built in 1979. During the first phase it was noted that the floor had heaved slightly in some areas due to the height of the water table in our area. I had a concrete repair contractor come in to do an install for an egress window and he noted the heaving and proceeded to check the level of the four corners of the basement. The results were that the outside foundation wall and floor were within 1/2" of level on the four corners and the heaving had taken place in the floor area and to a certain extent at the teleposts. When the window well drain was put in the weeping tile was checked and found to be clean at the perimeter of the house and the weeping tile clean out in the basement shows no signs of plugging either.
I did not adjust the telepost on the side of the basement already completed. It is boxed in with wood and I leveled the beam enclosure instead of messing with the telepost. I believe that the majority of the movement had taken place a long time ago and figured I would do more harm than good to the finishes on the second floor by adjusting them.

Sorry for all the back story, now I 'll get to my questions.

After taking down the drywall ceiling and beam box framing in the other part of the basement I can see that the movement of the telepost foundation in this area is much more signficant than in the other area (3" over 6' between the outside wall and where the telepost is located. Again I believe that this movement is not recent as we have been in the house now for 10 years and have not noted any cracked on the second floor walls but the main floor has always been out of level in this area. The question is to do I try and adjust this post down closer to level and risk doing damage to the main floor finishes or just leave as is and box the same way as the other portion of the basement? We plan to do further renos on the main floor as well and I am thinking that we would just level the floor area when we reached this stage instead of adjusting the actual structure. Part of the reno on the finished basement area is tied into the wall of the side with the beak way out of level as well and I am sure that this joint would have to be refinished if the telepost was lowered. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Would suggest you try a Canadian forum, as this is an English forum and we do not build on the telepost foundation system nor do we use a weeping tile drainage system in the same way as you do.
Best of luck.
oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back