Should I seal this plastic strip to stop draught?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I had replacement UPVc windows installed. Inside the bathroom window, there is a strip at the bottom of the frame separating the frame from the edge of the tiled window ledge. A draught comes through the top of this plastic strip. I telephoned the window installer and was told that this allows air to circulate to reduce consdensation. I thought that trickle vents served that purpose and I did not have these put in the frame as I have an automatic electric fan installed to remove steam.

I have uploaded a picture of the strip. My question is, is the installer right to say the draught is normal or should I run a bead of window frame sealant along the top of the strip to block out the draught?

Many thanks for your time and good advice.

Mutley56 :D

Sponsored Links
Lets see a picture first but i would imagine the fitter is telling porkies, i've never seen a vent at the bottom of a window

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, its the thin strip at the bottom of the frame where the tiled window ledge meets the plastic. The strip is about 5mm tall and the draught comes out from the top. As you say, its not a trickle vent but probably a filler of some sort. I'll seal the top of it to reduces the draught.

Thanks again.

Mutlry56 :D

Sounds and looks to me like its the back edge of the cill. If the installer hasn't put a bead of silicon on the back edge before fitting the window then you will get a bit of a draught coming under the window.

My installer didn't put any silicone on the back of mine but they are a reasonably tight fit. He deliberately didn't seal them (with my permission) as we had a pig of a job fitting the windows and they were in and out quite a few times.

Have a look at the level of the bottom of the window and see if it corresponds with the height of the back of the cill less a few mm.

Your fitter's a muppet. Run a thin bead of silicon along it.

Thanks guys, I've run a bead of sealant along the top to do the job.

Mutley56

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back