Should new shower tray be on legs; Toilet not draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a plumber start to fit new shower a few months ago. He put a new waste pipe in, then due to family illness, the building company had to stop the work. We found a new company to take over. This builder said the shower tray could go straight onto the floor and we did not need the legs we had bought. New toilet was put in a few days ago, but this is not draining properly and there is a foul smell from the shower tray waste (which has also had a pool of water in it since we tested it a fortnight ago.) No trap has been fitted in yet but I am very concerned that the toilet is draining into the shower pipe. The shower itself has not been fitted yet.
Should I insist to the builder that the tray is raised so the pipe can be at an angle?
Any comments most welcome. I am sure the builder will want to do the minimum work and will give me all sorts of technical reasons why nothing can be changed.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If there's toilet water getting into the shower waste then there's a more fundamental problem than the height of the shower tray - there's a problem with the connections in the soil stack being in the wrong place. If the shower tray doesn't drain then the pipe is running uphill.

As above.

FWIW: dont you shower or allow any little ones to shower until this is resolved.

If such a fundamental problem/connection has been made then all the work by both installers needs careful scrutiny. Have the returning installer point out where the shower waste appears to be joining the soil pipe - perhaps pic it and post on here?

Look and feel behind the WC pan for moisture, and check externally, where waste & soil pipe exit the wall, for leaks or pipe thats not falling.

The s/tray legs raise the installation to give access to the trap and waste.

You might be ahead of the game by sacking both sets of installers and having the whole thing re-done - (plumbers registered with the Institute of Plumbing used to be the benchmark?)

Whatever, dont let them install your shower valve.

If a shower waste pipe has been fitted in position but there is as yet 'no trap fitted', then smells would certainly emit from that area. The water in the trap is what stops the smell.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your comments. The toilet is flushing normally today. The builder (who is doing the plumbing) has not returned yet so I cannot ask him about it. Hopefully when the waste 'plug' part is put in this will stop the smell. The toilet water does not come into the shower, but one can hear it very close in the shower pipe when the toilet is flushed. Ree, why did you say we should stop them installing the shower valve?
Thank you.

How come the toilet is behaving itself today......has something been done to change things?
As squeaky has said, no trap on the shower means a direct line to the sewer and pongs aplenty.......I can't imagine anyone connecting a shower without one.
Just one thing to consider.....a timber frame to lift the shower beats legs any day. (If necessary). The gap is easily filled with timber.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back