Shower alternating hot and cold - boiler or shower problem??

On reading through the posts again the guy who came out and did the report says "2.5 litres a minute on the hot outlets". If this is true at all outlets then it must be a blockage of the on the boiler. Either plate exchanger - most likely - or inlet pipework.

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan

Interesting comments by your plumber. If water at a hot tap is flowing at 2.5l per minute, I would replace part number 15 (see page 50 of manual). While a lot of engineers remove this part, I feel it is there to provide a precise flow of water. To remove it completely, means unrestricted water flow leading to erratic hot water delivery. Furthermore, if the component was not essential to satisfactory operation of boiler, I am sure Vokera would not spend extra pennies fitting a needless part. Having said all this, your flow rate at cold tap is miniscule 8 l per minute. Flow restrictor (if it is pristine condition) is not ‘operational’ at this point. If this part is causing a reduced flow rate, throwing it in the bin, will immediately improve boiler performance.

Pump housing. In all probability, part designated 24 on page 50 is problematic. Often this item fails leading to constant drips and loss off water. I have yet to replace a pump housing on a Linea boiler. Pump is a listed item, but not aware pump housing by itself is a stock item for Vokera boilers. The heat exchanger is NOT split inside. There are two heat exchangers in this boiler. See page 50 again. Item 1 heats water that heats the radiators. Item 6 carries cold water that is heated by heat produced in item 1

Boiler operation during HW mode. Look at page 50. Water flowing through the shaded item below washer 45 causes pump to run. Any air in the system water is purged by item 24. This item will allow air to escape but shuts down so no water is lost. System water passing through main heat exchanger (item 1) picks up heat from the burners. Cold water entering the boiler (auctioned by running a hot tap) flows through heat exchanger 6 at a rate of 9.5 litres of water (set by item 15). All the heat produced in 1 has to be used up in 6 to raise the cold temperature by 35 degrees C at designed flowrate set by item 15. System operation indicated above is explained in basic form to assist understanding of problem you are experiencing. Boiler is assumed to be Linea 24.

What did he do to service the boiler? It might be beneficial to call Vokera and get them to do a fixed price repair. Both items ( 15 and 24) are a stock item for me, which would have been changed during a service. I do not think boiler needs to be replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back