shower at 100meter distance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have a stables at the bottom of my garden 100m from the house.i am converting it in to a livable annex i need enough power to run a shower lights tv etc.i have been advised to run a 16mm 3 core armoured cable will this be ok any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Ask the person to back this suggestion up with some design calculations to prove the proposed cable size is adequate.

I feel you will need a more detailed account of the design current.

The maximum amps will be some where around 40 with 100 meters and a volt drop of 0.0028 volts/amp/meter. I say somewhere around as I have not taken into account the ELI at origin or any correction factors and only worked out for power not lighting.

Since the supply will also be running your house if you want more than 40A then you should be considering a separate supply anyway.

Using an immersion heater and power shower there is no reason why you could not run on a 32A supply and likely the power shower will work better anyway and be cheaper than getting a separate supply. A caravan has a shower with a 16A supply by using calor gas to heat water so it can be done with even less power. I wonder what you are doing about cooking? Again nothing to stop same arrangement as a caravan.

If however you want an instant electric heated shower then one has to consider volt drop. 5% for power and 3% for lights is recommended by using HF florescent lighting you may get away with a larger volt drop I worked it out at 5%. At 3% your down to 24.5A so when using a shower inductive controlled fluorescents may fail. So to ensure within 3% then likely looking at 35mm at least if using an instant shower.

100m of cable is not cheap so one does have to consider what effect the volt drop will have. Items with switch mode power supplies can normally work OK but to get 50A with 3% volt drop you are looking at 50mm cable. I may be better with two supplies power and lighting so lights will not be affected as you draw more power.

Sponsored Links
If you want to to run an electric shower, lights and a socket circuit to a building 100m away.
Taking diversity of the maximum demand and voltage drop in to consideration. Even with a low rated shower, 16A socket circuit plus 6A for lights. One big ask for 16mm SWA!

According to TLC's calculator, 16mm will carry 12kW a max of 34m.

I have assumed an 8.5kW shower, 13A for power and 2A for lighting.

It might work out cheaper to get a new supply from your electricity supplier.

You could have an immersion heater in a small hot water tank and a power shower. That won't be as "instant" as an electrically heated shower and you will have to plan to turn the immersion heater on maybe an hour before you can shower. But the savings in cable costs could make that worthwhile.

You could have an immersion heater in a small hot water tank and a power shower. That won't be as "instant" as an electrically heated shower and you will have to plan to turn the immersion heater on maybe an hour before you can shower. But the savings in cable costs could make that worthwhile.
.... or a small LPG combi boiler. The electrical option is going to cost serious money. As has been pointed out 16mm² would not be adequate, and 100m of 25mm² (and I'm not even sure that would be big enough) probably wouldn't leave any change from £1,000.

Kind Regards, John.

hi i have a stables at the bottom of my garden 100m from the house.i am converting it in to a livable annex i need enough power to run a shower lights tv etc.i have been advised to run a 16mm 3 core armoured cable will this be ok any help would be much appreciated
You are going to have to use an electrician for the work, so you might as well ask him these questions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back