Shower base removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to remove a shower base in order to replace it with a new one. The old base is 20 years old. I am having difficulty figuring out how to remove the top of the drain that sticks out over the base hole so I can remove the base. Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Roget

Sponsored Links
You have not specied what your base is made of!

If its steel or fibreglass you could cut a hole near the waste to see how to disconnect it ( by using an angle grinder ).

Tony

PS Can I borrow your thesaurus?

Thanks for your reply.It appears that it is a white plastic base being held by a black PVC screw in pipe with a flange that screws into a drain pipe that has outer threads. It is a flat circle but has nothing to grasp onto.

Some types can be unscrewed from the top using the "drain holes" with a specially made up tool.

However the usual arrangement is just like any sink or basin waste that its just held on with a nut from underneath.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the info, Tony. Looks like we will have to take a sawsall to the base and see which way it is attached. Appreciate your help.
Roget

It's possible that your shower waste is like the modern ones, i.e. there is no screw like on a bath waste.

The McAlpine traps have, as do many others, a removable 'grid', and from underneath this you can then remove the centre part of the trap.

If you replace the 'grid' then the part that you removed inverts and becomes a tool with which you can unscrew the flange from the trap base.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back