Shower booster pump does not allow temperature regulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've moved in a few months ago and my shower is driving me crazy.

I have a boiler at about floor level and a small pump to boost the hot water pressure.
The cold water is coming straight from the mains.

I have a basic mixing tap on the shower. But the temperature of the water is impossible to regulate. Only at a very specific point does the water come out at a "comfortable" temperature, otherwise the cold water doesn't run or the hot water (the booster pump stops) stops running.

I can see that this has something to do with the pressures between them. How can I fix this?

Does installing one of those temperature controlled shower mixers solves this issue? Or is there something else I can do?

And is this something a plumber would know how to fix, or does it require some more expertise?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sponsored Links
I'd check if the pump can come off the mains, most don't I'm afraid, do you have make and model or even a pic

No, I don't think that I can take the pump off of that place.

I don't have a pic since I'm not at home (or will be for a few days), but it's a small pump with a small motor.

Do you think this could be solved with a different tap mixer?

A pressure reducing valve on the cold main will help a bit. I'm assuming that the pump is only pumping the hot and the cold is direct. Once you've done that a thermostatic mixer will help.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the pump is only pumping the hot water, the cold comes from the mains directly. I would have thought that whoever installed it, tried to equalise the pressure (don't know if the pump allows that) of the pump to the mains supply. :\

I'll see if it's possible to adjust the pump, or put a picture of it to get some help from you guys.

Would a thermostatic mixer resolve this issue? The installation for that is kind of complex in the way that it involves plumbing and electricity to be installed. Do you know if there is any other type of mixing tap that could work with the way I have this now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back