Shower - ceiling switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone help me!

I had a new shower put in and after a few months every time i turned it on it would cut out and the red light on the switch went out. I phoned the shower supplier to have a engineer come out and fix the shower when it was in the warranty, they turned round and said the shower was fine and the fault was in the ceiling switch, so i had to pay for the call out!. After unscewing it i noticed that the neutral - supply junction was discolored, so i changed the switch and it was fine and working again.

But now it has happened again and the same problem has happened. The neutral-supply junction in the switch is discolored again had i will need to buy a new switch.

Why is this happening and how can i fix it once and for all?

Hope someone can put me in the right direction, many thanks Mark

Sponsored Links
What rating is your shower? what size of switch?
More than likely a loose connection deteriorating through time.

The rating of the switch is 45A, the fuse in the main fuse board is 45A, and the shower is a 10.5 KW.

Is that any help

Is there slack on the cable at the switch? if so, pull some through and cut back to clean shiney copper, change your switch and make sure all connections are nice and tight!

Sponsored Links
Do you know what size of cable you have installed, hopefully it is 10mm and not 6mm.
10.8Kw @ 230v is 46 amps, your stated 10.8Kw may be at 240 which brings it down to 44Amps.
You should replace with a 50Aamp pull cord and make sure your connections are tight.

As said before, make sure you have nice clean copper ends, and make sure the terminals are tight.

Once everything is connected and you have arranged the wires so you can screw the front on, make sure the terminals are still tight. Moving the wires about can loosen the terminals.

Also, use a decent make such as MK or Crabtree.

What size is the cable, and after the first episode did you cut it back past the point where it was discoloured? If you didn't then you'll have been trying to tighten the terminal screw onto copper which has become hardened by overheating, which means you won't get a good contact, which means you'll get more overheating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back