Shower Cold Water Feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a flat and have a BritonThermostatic Pumped Shower...
However I have noticed that the Cold Water Feed for the shower has been taken off the feed between the Cold Water Tank and the Hot Water Cylinder and I am thinking this is wrong and will lead to problems...?

Sponsored Links
If you have a pumped shower on a low pressure cistern, ideal you need the hot and cold water pressures balanced, this would mean having the cod water on the low pressure side rather than on the inlet high pressure side. So I think by the evidence you have given and my understanding of that. Your installation is correct, as you would not want rising mains cold water pressure with low pressure hot water, mixing for a shower.

wp7ee682b9_06.gif

Sorry, probably not made it clear. Instead of my configuration being as the picture (left), my cold water feed to the shower isn't run from the cold water tank but is run off the pipe between the cold water tank and the hot water cylinder. My thoughts are that the pump would draw the water away from the cylinder ?

Last edited:
In theory the cold supply should come directly from the tank.
If you open-ended the pipe from the cold tank, the delivery of water would be far greater than the combined hot & cold delivered by your shower.
Shower will therefore function perfectly well like that and it is quite common to see them piped this way.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Daveydub, "open-ended the pipe from the cold tank" ?

"open-ended the pipe from the cold tank" ?
If you cut the cold feed to cylinder & held a bucket underneath, the bucket would be full in a few seconds.
If you held the same bucket below your shower it would be full in a few minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back