Shower cooking fuse?

I was thinking it could be a good place to install a CU (not connected to any supply), and practice installing MCBs, wiring it up etc, if you want to find out what's involved...

I could get a pretent tea set too it could be my very own wendy house :D

Sponsored Links
Hi all, I have now fitted a 7kw shower and I still running the same 30amp fuse that was cooking before. It started cooking again. Do I need to change the fuse or do I have bigger problems. I thought downgrading to a 7kw shower would settle it.

PLEASE HELP

You've probably damaged the connection beyond repair due to it having previously over heated

Sponsored Links
You've probably damaged the connection beyond repair due to it having previously over heated

how can this be verified and what do I need to fix it? replace the wiring and if so what wiring do I replace. shower to the circuit breaker or the whole thing??

just bit the bullet man and call in a registered sparky to change the CU and install a new cable for the shower, then you can put your 11kw beastie back on ..

just bit the bullet man and call in a registered sparky to change the CU and install a new cable for the shower, then you can put your 11kw beastie back on ..

I will be doing that in due course but with work its difficult waiting around for a sparky. Ive got 4hrs before wickes closes please can someone tell me what I need to do to get my shower working. Do I need to replace the wiring or what?

how can this be verified and what do I need to fix it? replace the wiring and if so what wiring do I replace. shower to the circuit breaker or the whole thing??

The fact that the fuse is still 'cooking' with a lower rated shower is indicative of a bad connection in the fuse holder. Probably covered in carbon residue which would cause a higher resistance and more heating.

This is not something that can be repaired as a quick fix in the next 4 hrs using components from Wickes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back