Shower cubicle problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have decided to replace my shower cubicle, after it was fitted by cowboy builders two years ago, and has leaked ever since.
One wall was plasterboard, that I have ripped out, and replaced with aqua board. The other wall were the shower will be attached is brick, with plaster covering it, which is slightly rough, and uneven.

Do I build my shower cubicle, into the wall so that the aqua board rests on top of the tray. Also do I fit the shower cubicle and tray, and then tile it.

Also any advice on how to build the plynth for the shower tray to sit on. Its a stone/ resin shower tray.

Going to tank the cubicle, but unsure what to use. Anybody recommend a decent supplier of tanking in Liverpool?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
One wall was plasterboard, that I have ripped out, and replaced with aqua board. The other wall were the shower will be attached is brick, with plaster covering it, which is slightly rough, and uneven.
How uneven? Roughness doesn’t particularly matter but the tile surface needs to be as flat as possible or it will ultimately affect the flatness of the tiled surface; the larger the tiles, the more important it is.
Do I build my shower cubicle, into the wall so that the aqua board rests on top of the tray. Also do I fit the shower cubicle and tray, and then tile it.
Depends how much room you have; as long as the tiles overlap the top of the tray, it would be better to run new Aqua board/tanking right down to the floor.
Also any advice on how to build the plynth for the shower tray to sit on. Its a stone/ resin shower tray.
Stone resin trays are quiet brittle; if you need access for plumbing it’s better to buy an easyplumb tray which has a built in, adjustable plinth. Trays without a plinth should be set on a weak mix bed of mortar so the base is fully supported or it could crack; this is usually a condition of the manufacturer’s warranty. You could build a plinth from 18mm WBP ply & suitably sized timber & then set the tray onto that but it must be fully supported or it could crack.
Going to tank the cubicle, but unsure what to use. Anybody recommend a decent supplier of tanking in Liverpool?
You can tank with matting such as Ditra/Durabase/Homelux or use a liquid tanking system such as BAL WP1 or Dunlop. Cant help with suppliers in Liverpool.

I would have a look at the mira flight trays with upstands.

I would go for one with 4 upstands, rebate the tray into the wall by about 1cm, then tile right into the tray.

If you follow all the manufacture instruction like, sealing the top of the tray under the rebate, then leaving a floor tiling peg under the bottom tiles as spaces you will get an excellent seal.

Importantly no leaks.

they also do riser systems, which lift the whole tray off the floor.

Admittedly i built a little stand to support the center, and then used the legs for the edges.

also i siliconed the sides of the tray to all wall and it worked well for me..

I am nearly 17st and it feels nice and solid.

pukka

Cheers much appreciated for your advice. I have aqua boarded the stud wall, but the other wall is just a brick wall, that has been plastered in the past, and is only slightly rough because of the adhesive on the previous tiles, and because its been skimmed over were the cable run is.

As space is a slight issue, I am going to tank both walls, to the floor, then fit then fit the base on a raised plynth, as its a solid floor and the waste is underneath it. Then I will silicone the base in, and then tape around the base. and then fit the shower cubicle, and then tile and silicone to finish off. Does this sound ok?

Sponsored Links
If by "silicoe the base" you mean the shower tray; as I said before, it's important stone resin trays have the base fully supported & I lay on a bed of weak mix sand/cement mortar which is what most manufacturers recommend & is usually a condition of warranty; but it's your choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back