Shower Cubicle Tiling Advice Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I hope someone can help me here.
I have just istalled my shower cubicle (one of those quadrant type ones) and i now need to waterproof it (i am ok with this bit) but once this is done i will need to tile it.
The shower is in a corner so there are two walls that will need tiling. The question i have is 'do i tile over the lip of the shower unit?'
What i mean by this is there is the glass enclosure which joins onto the two walls by one peice of metal which the glass sits in on each side and it has a lip where it is screwed to the wall. This lip is about 4cms wide but i am not sure whether i should tile over this or not.
Anyone know whether i should or not? The screws have plastic heads on them (which you put once once screwed) so i assume that you just have to tile up to this edge and not OVER the lip. Really unsure whether this is correct or not.
Thanks
Lee

Sponsored Links
I have just thought of another question on this one regarding the waterproofing kit from Dunlop

It says that you have to join the tray to the walls but doesnt really indicate how much you need on the tray side which i am a bit confused about.

If i i think that the tape supplied is 4cm wide, would i put 2cm on the wall side and 2cm on the tray side? If so, i dont think that the tiles will cover this, does it cut easily? I assume that any 'overhang' will be cut off before grouting - does this sound right?

Wondering now whether i should waterproof, tile and then put the shower enclosure up, help

From what you are describing you have fitted the cubicle and now want to tile?

It should be tank the area first then tray then tile,cubicle last.

Sponsored Links
I was hoping that wasnt going to be the answer.

I can take the cubicle out as this is just screwed in, the tray will not be so easy.

Is there any way around this?

I noticed that the 'kit' came with waterproof tape.

How would this sound

1. Remove the cublicle.
2. Mastic where the tray meets the walls (this is the waterproof white stuff)
3. Tank the walls and use the waterproof tape half on the wall and half on the tray ie making a 'lip'
4. Tile the area
5. Cut the tape where it is proud of the tiles on the tray side
6. Mastic some more where the tiles meet the tray

Does that sound about right?

Lee

Hi Lee,

Remove the cubicle
Mask the edges of the tray and cover the tray in a dust sheet or similar.
Tank the walls up to about a meter and down to tray (below edge if poss)
Silicone the joint between tray and wall,this should be ok I normally tank to floor but its no essential.
Tile leaving a 2mm gap between tray and tile join.
When you silicone fill this 2mm gap.

Right, i am going to be doing this tiling action this week but need some tips:

Remove the cubicle - cubicle removed :)

Mask the edges of the tray and cover the tray in a dust sheet or similar. - why mask the edges? not sure why (is it to stop any spillage?)

Tank the walls up to about a meter and down to tray (below edge if poss) - this i can do

Silicone the joint between tray and wall,this should be ok I normally tank to floor but its no essential. - does this mean chucking as much silicone as possible into the gap?

Tile leaving a 2mm gap between tray and tile join. - how do i leave a 2mm gap? should i put something underneath the tiles when i tile? I can see these slipping downwards :(

When you silicone fill this 2mm gap. - i can do this but unsure how to get the 2mm gap, is the masking bit to get a really nice edge?

Help

Also, why i am thinking about this (I think too much)

In the tanking kit there is some waterproof tape stuff. I can see that this to be put vertically where in the quadrant join. How do i go about the bottom horizontal join where the wall meets the tray? Does this bit get sorted out by the silicon?

Also, where the shower pipes (x2) come out of the wall there are two slightly bigger holes should the tape be used here also?

Lee

You are masking the tray as it will be in situ when you tank the wall

Silicone the void between the wall and tray once the tanking has gone off

If you are intending on tiling off of the tray make sure its 100% straight, i'll be suprised if it is, use spacers laying flat on the tray to support the tiles and keep a uniform 2mm gap "shims" may be required to make you first row straight and true. If your first row isnt good the rest of the job will be awkward or end up looking like junk.

the 2mm gap is important as it gives somewhere to squeeze the silicone into to make sure you get a really good seal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back