Shower Drainage Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a "professional" bathroom company fit a new shower room which was finished in March this year. There were problems straight away with the shower tray taking over 5 mins to empty and you could only have a short shower. The shower trap was replaced and all was okay until the problem reappeared 2 weeks ago. I've tried 3 large bottles of "Instant Power Heavy Duty Drain Opener" with a marginal improvement.

As I never saw the full installation I can only tell you the following. The shower and basin waste pipes feed into one under the floor of the bedroom next door before dropping down the wall to the main bathroom on the first floor below where it then joins the main soil pipe under it. The pipe run in total is probably just over 20 feet from trap to soil pipe with 5 or so 90 degree bends. I've also tried putting one of the spring unblockers through but suspect it only gets as the bend where the pipe goes down the wall and it won't go any further. The sink waste works fine with no water in the shower tray but if the shower tray is full then the sink will only empty when the shower water has gone. Also, if the basin is used while water is in the shower tray, the shower tray water starts getting large air bubbles coming up. I've also poured a bottle of the drain cleaner down the sink basin as well. I believe there is a vented trap on the sink waste. Inspection of the shower trap showed it to be clean and the spring unblocker was clean when it was removed from the pipe.

We can't think of any reason why this has happened as it was not a gradual problem, more of a sudden one. The sinks and toilet in the downstairs bathroom which feed into the soil pipe have no problems at all.

Before you ask why the installers have not been involved, they have ignored my requests for help as the relationship with them broke down when what was originally planned for a 3 week job reached the 7 month anniversary.

I'm nervous to use a plunger as I'm scared the installers used porridge or something suitably ridiculous to fit the pvc pipes together.

Apologies for the essay!!!

Any help gratefully received!!!

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Back to basics. Pipe slopes should be 1 in 40 or so, and for that length, the books will say 100mm diameter. Is it all 40mm??!!

just speed read your post "stepney" and a stab in the dark but you may have to insert a tee piece and fit a durgo type air valve .Putting drain unblocker down aint the answer .
Take your complete trap off the basin and with this acting as a vent see if it allows the shower tray to run better , let us know how you get on .

Folks,

Many thanks for the replies but as I'm (unexpectedly) back in the butt end of Russia I've not been able to get on-line let alone try your suggestions.

All pipework involved is 40mm. Most horizontal incline is around 5 feet long dropping around 5 inches before a 90 degree bend takes it vertical down to the next floor.

At a loss as to why this was working okay but then suddenly stopped rather than a gradual decline.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
P-p-pick up a Polski plumber on your way back :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back