Shower extractor fan and light wiring.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All and Merry xmas,
I have just extended the downstairs toilet to include a large shower cubicle. Currently the room has a standard bathroom light controlled by a switch outside the room. I would like to add a light above the shower and a wall extractor fan - both to be controlled by one cord switch.

I am looking to use a low voltage light and a low voltage extractor fan - will I need to use two transformers fed from the standard 230v supply?

I'm unsure how best to carry out the wiring so some advice would be much appreciated.

Nagsy.

Sponsored Links
You can get kits (Homebase, Screwfix, B&Q etc) which has one transformer and a light and a fan.

My set-up has a timed fan, which means the kit has to have a switched live (for the light) and a permanent live (so the timer can continue to extract after you have left the bathroom and switched the light off). This needs 3 core and earth, not 2 core and earth as in a normal fitting.

As for carrying out the wiring for what I did, it involved lifting of floorboards upstairs to get what I wanted where I wanted it. I took my live feed from another light.

Does that help?

Thanks for the reply. I got myself an all-in-one extractor fan and low voltage light, however the instructions included are not great.

The light has two white wires which need to be connected to the 12v part of the transformer - does it matter which wire goes in which hole?

The switched live and neutral also need to be attached to the 230v part of the transformer - agfain there is no indication of where the N or L should go. Any ideas?

Nagsy

Sponsored Links
For my light/extractor fan jobby I will be connecting a 3amp spured fuse to the standard 230v power supply . From the fuse spur I need to connect a live wire to the pull-cord switch and a neutral to the joint box. I have a few rolls of 2-core earth wire - can I simply just split and use the N and L separately?

Also, if I'm using the 2-core earth wire and connecting the joint box to the 240v end of the transformer what do I do with the earth since there is no hole for this in the transformer.

Thanks in advance.

Nagsy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back