shower feed gate valves not shutting off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we have a shower cubicle in the ensuite (not pump or electric) and the 22m hot and cold feed go through the wall from the airing cupboard to the back of the shower.

Theres 2 shut off valves in the hot and cold feeds with red handles - are these called gate valves?! anyway, when shutting the valves, the shower still has water coming out of it almost as usual flow.

Opening and shutting either of these hot and cold valves one at a time does alter temperature of the shower water slightly so do seem to be having some effect but they don't shut the water off to the shower completely.

Estimated age of valves 10 years, they turn very freely and open and shut with a definate resistance at each end.

I'm struggling to see why the waters not turning off at these valves - do they seize midway?

Sponsored Links
Indeed they do seize up and are prone to passing when shut off, is there any type of isolation valve further up the line?

Where are your hot and cold fed from?

There broken!

Turn off mains and drain down. You can either remove the inner parts of the gate valve and replace with new, or fit full flow lever valves.

Andy

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Gate valves are originally from the steam age, and are the work of the devil!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

As said above, replace with full-flow lever valves, for an easy life.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys, its what I thought. Off to buy lever valves I go :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back