Shower going cold, hot water supply gets cut off completely?

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I have a new shower that has worked fine, albeit with low hot water pressure, for a couple of months. Now it starts hot, but then goes cold completely, sometimes after a couple of minutes, sometimes after less than 30 seconds.

Meanwhile, on the side of the bathroom sink, there are no issues with either hot water pressure or hot water delivery.

So, I tried closing the hot water supply on the boiler side first:

1) Sink: No hot water at all (as expected).
2) Shower: There was still some cold water coming out of the showerhead with the thermostatic valve set completely to hot.

I then went back to the boiler and reopened the hot water supply and closed the cold water one.

1) Sink: Again, there was a constant supply of hot water with good pressure.
2) Shower: The water started coming out hot (low pressure, though), but then, after 15-20 seconds just stopped, as if I had shut off the valve completely.

What is going on here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. The combi boiler is a Viessman Vitopend 100.

Sponsored Links
I assume the shower is a thermostatic type. If the temperature of the hot water is too hot from the boiler ,outside the range that your shower valve is able to cope with, it will close down for safety.
What is the temperature of hot water delivered by the combi ?

Removed the plate covering the thermostat and noticed these two screws. Turned the red one counterclockwise a bit. Problem solved.

IMG_20230226_124018.jpg

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back