Shower lacking presure following new Monsoon 2.0bar twin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a shower with flow powered by a Monsoon pump in the room below. The pump failed about a month or two ago now after a couple of weeks of irregular operation. Ideally, after turning the shower on the flow would start slowly and then the pump would or kick in a few seconds later. Just before it stopped working, sometimes the pump would not start, so id turn shower on and off a few times and the pump would sometimes kick in or it wouldnt....and i'd go to work following a 'French' shower.

So i bought a new pump a few days ago (Stuart Turner 2.0 bar twin pos head) basically the exact replacement.

A plumber installed it for me. Now the pump does turn on with the shower, however the water pressure at the shower head does not increase as previously. Not even a continuous stream from some of the shower head holes.

Tried discharging the pump outlets into a sink and turned on shower/pump and the water does increase in pressure - if its the same amount as the previous pump i dont know.

Plumber took out the flow control spindle in the thermostatic shower valve and stuck a pipe there instead, turned shower on with pump and the flow rate increased but barely.

What else could be causing the problem?

Can a faulty cartridge restrict the flow?

Obviously, a blockage in the pipes could be causing it, which would be quite coincidental given the shower was working fine before the previous pump stopped working, however if this was the case how easy is it to flush the pipes?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the shower head blocked or scaled up? Have you tried it with the shower head off?

yup, took the shower head off, didnt improve the flow rate.

Also when the flow control spindle was replaced with a pipe as an outlet. This diverted the flow from the end of the shower unit/head.

Sponsored Links
As neither hot or cold water flow comes out under pressure, would it be true to say that a blockage is likely to be after the two combine?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back