Shower Outlet/Hose Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of fitting a concealed Shower Valve, which has a separate free-mountable terminal for the Shower hose to connect to. This exact one in fact...

2011-9-17--11-41-40-71_QS-V50309.jpg

Do I need to be concerned about the fact that, when mounting as shown in the picture, the Shower Hose/Head could essentially be laid in the Shower Tray. Are there some rules relating to back-syphoning that I should be aware of? Or will the valve have protection against this? Or is this just a concern with over-bath Showers?

Sponsored Links
Its not good practice to allow the shower head to lie in (theoretically) foul water.....often there is a device fitted to the riser rail to prevent this, but check out Screwfix 71542 for the solution.
John :)

Thanks for the reply Burnerman. I just don't understand why the design of the shower hasn't accounted for this. To get it so that the shower head can't reach the tray, the outlet would have to be almost at eye level, completely different to the pic.

Is it possible that the shower valve could have the anti-syphon valve built in to it?

Oddly, also, the outlet is at the top of the valve, meaning that to copy the install in the picture, the outlet pipework would have to cross the one of the inlet pipes, which come into each side of the valve. If the outlet had been in the bottom of the valve, this wouldn't have been a problem.

I guess one of those 'clips' the effectively joins the hose to the riser rail would work too? Although I'd rather not do that.

Sponsored Links
I really cant comment whether the shower mixer would have a non return valve or not...presumably in the specifications it could be mentioned?
The little device I've linked to actually goes into the shower flexible pipe, just after the mixer valve - it even includes its own rubber washer!
The other anti dangle device is a plastic ring, fitted to the shower riser rail, which the flexy pipe passes through. This effectively prevents the shower head from dangling in the shower tray but it does interfere with the full movement of the hose, so often its dispensed with.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back