Shower - Plywood/Tile problems :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a shower that has walls on 3 sides and a door on the 4th side. One of the sides is a tiled wall but the rear and other side are both tiles over sheets of plywood. Needless to say, water has got behind the tiles on one side and the wood warped badly. This has now been repaired using a sheet of laconite (?) in place of the wood and this has been tiled over. However, the rear of the shower is now leaking and removing the tiles (Which just fell off...) reveals soaking plywood and a damp. musty smell. For some reason, this wood is about 5-6 inches clear of the wall that is behind it, I guess it's to allow room for the shower unit. Problem is how do we remove the rotten wood and what do we replace it with? Does this sound like a complete retile job? Hopefully not as the complete bathroom is tiled from floor to ceiling.

Sponsored Links
SOunds like you "simply" remove the remaining tiles from the wood then replace the wood. Either use wood and seal it properly, or use more of the magic board stuff. BUt if was that simple, would you have asked...?

Thanks for the speedy reply, I guess it might be that simple but do not know if there is anything I should be wary of...I didn't do the last repair myself as I have the DIY skills of a donkey but my father in law (Who did it for me) is currently in the process of moving and has a lot of things he needs to do to his old/new houses before he can look at this for me and I guess it's about time I started to do these things myself :)

Assuming I can chisel (?) out the damp wood myself, how much higher should I go above the "damp line" and is laconite the best thing to repair it with? I'm wary of making a permanent fix as it's an electric shower and the unit must be behind the wood - never really given it any thought until now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back