Shower power booster installation

If you want the whole house boosted then that's a whole different setup.

You would alter the current setup to provide the vent and then the flanged outlet would feed the pump. The pump outlet would then be run to a common supply where the other would be branched from.

Don't forget though, to ensure a trouble free system, you need to pump the cold to any mixer/mix in the body outlets as well as the hot

Similar to what you drew but I'd get rid of the mess of the pipework and feed it all from the main HW supply on the left and tidy up the supplies to the other areas. Also, once you start to feed the whole house, any time the water is used, the pump will run, can be really noisy @ 2am.

Sponsored Links
You can also fit a timer switch so that the pump only works between say 6am to 11pm. No night noise to wake anyone up. ;)

Andy

can i get some advice based on the last image i sent?
on the left of the picture I am planning on cutting the vent/expansion pipe and joining in to it which means that i was planning to put a terminating cap on the pipe coming out of the tee, effectively turning it in to a 90deg elbow feed the main house (the yellow line in the pic). is there an issue doing this because of the slight amount of pipework that will still go up? would it allow for air in the system somehow or am i other thinking it and it will be fine to do?

As per you pic, If it's flanged with the correct side of the flange venting the cylinder upwards then it could work. It all comes down to what 'head' there is between the cold water cistern feeding the cylinder and the HW outlets, be that taps or shower heads. If there isn't enough flow through the pump due to the head of water at a specific outlet a standard pump won't trigger, a universal/negative head pump would then be needed.

Sponsored Links
yep im definitely going to use a universal head as its a chalet bungalow and there isnt enough drop. thanks :)

Don't forget that ideally you would pump both hot and cold, otherwise there could be a pressure/flow imbalance and certain types of mixers don't like that and will protest.

Don't forget that ideally you would pump both hot and cold, otherwise there could be a pressure/flow imbalance and certain types of mixers don't like that and will protest.
even if cold water is mains?

Yes, pressure imbalances can make thermostatic showers run funny, can also make mixer taps have flow issues, Sometimes NRV/check valves and pressure reducing valves to align the pressures as close as possible can work but not all the time.

Just need to keep it in mind if you start to see problems.

ok that makes sense. could i still use the whole house hot water feed and just the cold water feed that goes to the showers? if so, i assume that means that if hot water is requested downstairs then the pump would come on but not if only cold water is requested as it would be a different pipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back