Shower pump problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a shower installed recently and a pump was required to get a decent flow at the shower head. The pump has been installed in accordance with the manufacturers instructions (Surrey flange for the HW feed and Essex flange in the cold tank for the CW feed etc) except in one important respect. The pipes from the pump to the shower have to run through the loft, and because the cold water tank sits on the joists they are essentially at the height of the base of the cold water tank. When it was installed the plumber thought we might get away with it and, indeed, it worked perfectly well for two or three weeks. But then one morning it refused to start. I cajoled it into working again by slackening off a union at the pump to get a flow through the pump, and then it worked alright again for another couple of weeks. It has now stopped again and before I get the plumber back I thought I'd see if anyone could think of another explanation or a suggestion of what can be done to get over this problem. Because space in the loft is limited raising the tank would be tricky and expensive. If the problem is solely due to a lack of head, I would have thought it wouldn't work at all.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy. The idea of a negaitive head pump had occurred to me, but I wasn't sure whether it would work with a small positive head.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back