Shower Pump Recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will soon be moving my HW cylinder so want to install a shower pump while I'm at it to serve both a new mixer shower, and an en-suite mixer shower in a soon to be built loft conversion. HW cylinder is in the kitchen (bungalow), CW tank is 200lt 'coffin' type mounted high in the roof space, CH is vented indirect system.

I would be grateful for recommendations on the best brands of pump and those to stay clear of, and also what minimum pump pressure would be required to serve two showers.

Also, based on these recommendations, Surrey or Essex flange in my HW cylinder?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'd go for one of the first four of these, all basically the same but supply you with different pressures, go for the best you can afford...http://www.h-i-e.co.uk/acatalog/Right_Esp_Cpv.html

Pump pressure is largely irrelevant, you could have a 3-bar pressure pump that's still only capable of delivering water to one shower, or conversely you could have a 1-bar pressure pump capable of serving both. What is important is flow. The pumps above will give you enough flow and enough pressure. Salamander recommend you use a no-stop essex flange or one of their own flanges. How big is your hot water cylinder? With two pumped showers running at the same time you could find you run out of hot water pretty fast.

Thanks Muggles.

Current HW cyl is 117lt, but have been thinking it would be wise to replace it with something like a 140lt cyl.

Sponsored Links
I'd go for something like a 160L if you have space, and upgrade or extend your loft tank as well to probably 350L to ensure you have enough stored water. If you're using high-flow showers it won't take long for those pumps to clear out what you have in your loft at the moment - remember it's drawing from the loft tank for both hot and cold water.

As an alternative, have you considered having an unvented hot water cylinder installed? By the time you've paid for a new cylinder, a shower pump and a new loft tank, and all the associated bits, you'll be well on the way to spending the money needed to buy an unvented one. Granted, you'll need to find someone to put it in and your particular situation might make it unsuitable, but it's worth considering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back