shower pump wouldn't start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've got a persisting problem with my shower. The pump would not start unless I "bleed" a bit of water out from one of the outlets of the pump. I have fitted check value to the hot water outlet, auto air vents to the highest points between the pump and the thermostatic value and raised the c/w tank to male sure there is no negative head situation. Also I've bypassed the pump at one point and there is water running almost enough to have a shower (perhaps about 3-4l/min). I am totally stuck with no ideas what could be the problem. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
sounds like your getting air lock in the pipework.

Has it always been like this ?
What one did you bleed hot/cold ?
Give us some more info on how it's connected to cylinder, pipework runs etc.

Hey, thanks for the reply. No it was ok untill I did a total refurb to the bathroom, which includes a new thermostatic valve.

When it worked the system was: c/w tank in the loft; 22mm feed to the h/w cylinder which is in the a/c cupboard (about 800 of the floor); 15mm cold feed to pump (Salamander CT50 next to h/w cylinder); 15mm (S-flange) hot water feed to pump. Outlets from the pump - both 15mm up in to the loft and back down to thermostatic valve with single unfixed shower head. Distance between bottom of c/w tank and highest point of pipework - about 6"-8".

Currant system: c/w tank in the loft; 22mm feed to the h/w cylinder which is in the a/c cupboard (about 800 of the floor); 22mm cold feed to reduced to 15mm just before the pump (Salamander CT50 next to h/w cylinder); 15mm (S-flange) hot water feed to pump. Outlets from the pump - both 15mm (check valve to hot water one) down to thermostatic valve with: unfixed shower head and up and over to ceiling mounted fixed head . Distance between bottom of c/w tank and highest point of pipework - about 800-900mm (I've raised the tank on a platform).

At some point I had Salamander ST 100 hence the 22mm pipework upgrade on part of the system. Also while I was working on the pipework I opened the valve and tried to blow some air through with my mouth with no success. Also had the pump compleatly bypassed and the shower worked, but no much of a flow . Also when I fitted the check valve and the vents the system worked ok for a few days. If there is anything else - just ask. Thanks again for your time. This nightmare goes for 5 months now.

I take it the unfixed shower head is on a hose from the mixer valve ?
Have you tried running shower to the unfixed shower head but with the head off ? does it start ?

Sponsored Links
No, not quite - the unfixed shower head is on a hose but fron an outlet in the wall suplied via horizontal pipework from the valve.

To be honest I've had the ST100 for all that time. Just 2 days ago I put back the CT50 and to be honest only onthe second time didn't start i.e. yesterday. Just had a shower. It started twice. So to your second question - it will probably start now with or without head. In the past (with the ST100) I stud better chance of starting it through the ceiling mounted.

thanks again for your t ime. I am going to pray things stay as they are i.e. working, even though it happen beforefor a short while

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back