shower rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'd like to replace the shower rose on my shower, that is, the part where all the water comes out. From what I've read, modern shower roses have a standard half inch fitting, so you can easily screw on/off a replacement.

My shower however, is pretty old, cetainly 20 years plus, and has a different type of fitting. The arm has a ball at the end with a threaded collar which come down over the ball, and the rose screws into the collar. This allows the head to be moved around to change direction. The diameter of the rose where it screws into the collar is one inch.

Is it possible to get a new rose with this size fitting? Or an adapter which could match the collar to a widely available half inch fitting rose? I had a look in B&Q but couldn't find anything...

(As background, the current rose works fine, but I've just had a new boiler fitted and the hot water pressure is higher than it was previously. The old rose is around one and a quarter inches diameter where the water comes out, and it almost knocked me over when I first tried it :D
So I reckoned a larger rose would be a good idea).

TIA, apologies if my terminology is dodgy.

Sponsored Links
Tell us the boiler make and model.

Then measure the water flow rate in litres per minute.

Its probably NOT a good idea to change the shower head!

But we need to know the full details first!

Tony

It's a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28i Junior.

Does the size of the shower rose actually matter thaty much? Esprcially since I'm looking at getting a larger one...?

Then measure the water flow rate in litres per minute.

Its probably NOT a good idea to change the shower head!

But we need to know the full details first!

Tony

There is no point in fitting a shower rose which provides a flow rate greater than your boiler can provide !

If you want further advice you will need to measure the flow rate of your current shower head!

Tony

Sponsored Links
OK, I see what you're saying...

Let me phrase it another way: is it currently possible to purchase a shower rose which would attach to the fitting I currently have, one inch diameter attached by a thread collar onto a ball which allows it to be directed?

Pretty impossible to say, Does the rose have an arm which is attached to the wall?

I think I remember the type you have, and it will probably be very hard to source, what you could get is a MIRA accesory kit, which has a hose, rose, bracket and/or slider rail depending on what you want, the new hose will almost certainly fit the outlet of the shower as they are 1/2" BSP so choose a kit that suits and away you go.

OK, I see what you're saying...

I am not sure that you do !

Your combi boiler now provides mains pressure water which gives a better shower.

If you fit another rose then you may find the flow rate is more than the boiler can handly.

A combi has different characteristics to a cylinder.

Exceed the maximum flow rate and it just goes colder !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back