Shower Trap Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

It looks like a bath trap was previously fitted to our shower and its now leaking. It looks like there is insufficient space to properly connect the waste pipes to the trap and there is an inadequate seal.

Was thinking about fitting a specific shower trap but are they much of a muchness or are there any brands better than others (e.g. McAlpine, etc)?

Any recommendations very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
That's the one you'l see 99% of the time, though it doesn't comply with regs requirement for a 50mm "seal" (U depth). They're deeper though, but do come with a 90 degree swivel connector.
You can certainly get two diameters of the chrome seal on top, it that's what you mean. Not sure if that McAlpine has a choice though.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

What is the HepVO trap like - is it suitable for a shower or overkill? Do the McAlpine have a filter for hair, etc?

Also, is there anyway of finding out what size of trap I will need without removing the existing one?

Many thanks again,

Damian

Sponsored Links
Hepvo would be fine - they do a knuckle elbow to fit a separate shower waste, which is just the chrome top part and a threaded tube. The outlet would be lower though, do you have enough fall?
Shower wastes/traps are all 1 1/2" = 40mm type.

Hi,

Thanks again for the reply - not sure whether I would have enough fall. Not sure about the benefits of the Hep traps - do they provide a much better water seal which in most domestic situations isn't needed?

Thanks,

Damian

In most dom. situations the Hep is most DEFINITELY needed.....because the simple principles of correct soil/ waste design are basturdised all the time :rolleyes: .....along with the pipeslice and diamond drill they are one of the best inventions of the late 20th. Century

Hi,

Thanks for the replay - I read that the HepVo traps can be prone to failure as the membrane can develop holes? Can you use them with a normal trap or are they just a straight replacement?

The problem with my shower is that there is a short run from the existing trap which then drops through a 90 deg elbow into the floor space and onto the soil. I am not convinced that there is an adequate fall currently but I can't get to the elbow/down pipe as it is at the far side of the shower tray.

Even if I can address the fall, I am not clear on exactly what I would need to connect the HepVo to my shower - I can't find the other fitting I would need. Any advice.

I have noticed that we do get some smells from the kitchen waste when the washing machine is on and an HepVo may address this. Again though I am not sure what I would need - would I keep the existing sink trap (with washer connected) and put the HepVo on the outlet of the trap.

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks as ever,

Damian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back