shower tray issue!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i don’t know how this happened as the main bathroom is only used by a 9 year old girl, but the other night i noticed the that the drain on the shower tray was broken. the chrome effect ring/hair trap was split in half, and was able to be removed with ease. the ceramic hole in the tray appears to have a little bit of it broken off/crumbled away. and the waste pipe is very springy now. There is no way this is water tight so we have stopped using it.

the house/bathroom is only 3 years old. i know this is difficult to answer, but do you think this is fixable without the need to replace the tray etc?

some initial thoughts (not sure if its even possible) to repair the hole with fibre glass? then refit a new drain system.

I can take pics tonight and post them here if that helps?

Would appreciate your thoughts

Sponsored Links
Ive tried to edit a pic of where the tray appears to be damaged (from memory. would need to verify when home tonight) PLease see pic below

i don’t know how this happened . the ceramic hole in the tray appears to have a little bit of it broken off/crumbled away. house/bathroom is only 3 years old.***** If it`s only a small chunk ...
It was like it when they "fitted" it from new****I can take pics tonight and post them here if that helps?--- always useful ;)

Would appreciate your thoughts
Probably fixable - just another tale of New Build ,I`m afraid :cry:

Right guys, i got my partner tofwd some pics for your consideration! you can see the section that appears to be incomplete, bigs issue do you think?

Sponsored Links
Go to here

http://www.mcalpineplumbing.com/

Click product catalogue at top left then waste traps top left again then 1 1/2 - 40mm shower traps with top access 5th from bottom.

It looks like one of their traps you have, so you may be able to get a bigger (wider) replacement that will cover the broken bit providing you can get to it.

From pic's it appears that a section of the seal land area has broken right to the edge of the drain recess (can't imagine a scenario which would cause this) only possible solution I can think of, you have already mentioned, painstakingly rebuild the area with fibreglass resin, trying to regain the original shape, thickness and flatness. Then re assemble with liberal quantities of silicon.
Good luck

Fill the broken bit with silicon... I know it's a "bodge" but it will likely work well.

done some investigating tonight, and took some pics. i think the part that has broke off may be able to fit back in, any thoughts on a bonding agent? would silicon suffice?

im going to need to removed that hot water pipe (blue arrow) in order to remove the drain trap, any thoughts on how i do this??

cheers

Glue it in with an epoxy glue and allow it to set. Stick a bit tape on the bottom side to stop it dropping while the glue sets.

You won't need to remove the trap to fix it. The broken chrome part will unscrew off. You just need the new waste flange part althought you will be easier buying the full thing (about a fiver).
You need to buy a MacAlpine STW3-R or STW4-R. It is just the chrome waste flange and grid you need. Get them from any plumbers merchants.

When fitting it the white part down the centre of the trap comes out and is used as a key to tighten the top flange.
Refit with silicon on the top of the tray and on top edge of trap(below). Don't overtighten it. Leave to set and hope it holds.

The tray broke because it should be fully supported over the full base. Try and put in some additional support below the tray to support it more, even a couple of brick and a few handfuls of cement would be better than nothing. Don't drop anything on it because it will break again.

Quality plumbing work :oops: No wonder everyone feels they can do it themselves when you look at that. It's a disgrace to the trade :cry:

Some really good advice there tamz.

if you think that loks bad you should see the rest of the plumbing in the house. Note to self NEVER EVER buy a house from Robertsons Homes. Workmanship is dreadful.

OK, at work now, will this white key that i pressume is in the existing drain just now, be able to be removed to unscrew the currenet chrome section. otherwise i have no idea how to get in to remove it.

I shall do as you say and purhcase that part.

Thanks again.

Sometimes the removable chromed grille section that sits in the top of the waste has nibs that engage with the six slots in the waste fitting. Use a pair of pliers or similar wedged into the waste grille to turn it.

Cheers TicklyT. Worked a treat. :) the chrome section has been removed now, the two sections that broke off are bonding as we speak, tomorrow i will bond this complete peice, to the shower tray, and on Sat i will head to the merchants and get the new one.

Thanks again to all for your help.

There is a PTS in the wee estate at the end of Tullibody. They will have one.

Few places in Springkerse and Falkirk too.

Workmanship is dreadful.

Robertsons are not the only ones, most new builds are the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back