shower tripping breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved house and the shower ,after about 10 mins trips the breaker switch, when reset it trips again shortly after.
the shower has its own circuit but didnt have an isolating switch outside bath room.
Also another problem is that the lights dim and filicker when no other appliance is in use.
Also the lights dim significantly when shower is used.

Sponsored Links
what power rating is your shower? what size breaker is trippin? is it the MCB or RCD trippin? what size cable is the shower wired it?
there should also be a pull cord switch in the bathroom

Almost certainly an overload. Very common, especially if the shower has been replaced with a more powerful unit. Get somebody in to check it out for you - many sparks will come out for free for a job like this as it will almost certainly involve quoting for necessary work, but don't expect an ultra-cheap solution.

Sponsored Links
The shower is a 9.5kw with isolating switch outside bathroom the cable is 10square mm and the breaker is a push button MCB 45amp

those values sound ok

i suspect the mcb is just old. Wylex don't make 45A plug ins any more but GE make 45A plug ins to fit wylex standard baords under the name mini-trip

plugwash said:
those values sound ok

i suspect the mcb is just old.
Let's not ignore the possibility that the shower is faulty.

Twinnieboy - any signs of overheating at the isolation switch? Is there an RCD on the circuit?

twinnieboy said:
The shower is a 9.5kw with isolating switch outside bathroom the cable is 10square mm and the breaker is a push button MCB 45amp

Err - hang on a minute -

In [url=//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=107514&highlight=#107514]this post[/url] you said:
I have moved house which is 50 years old it has a relativley new mcb cu.
occasionally the lights flickerand dim also the whole house electrics cut out and i have to reset the rcd.
new shower fitted after the mcb continually tripping only to find its still tripping correctly wired with 6mm wire its nippin ma head
So which is it? New MCB CU, or an old one with push-button MCBs?

6mm² cable or 10mm² cable?

I think its 6mm, tried to check out difference at B+Q 6mm and 10mm looked stangely the same size???????????????????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back