shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have recently moved house and have been having problems with my shower which was tripping the fuse when on full. I got a plumber to have a look he said the shower was too big being 10.5 kw and the wire being only being 6mm with a 32 amp fuse. He did not no what size shower that could be fitted the smallest size shower i could find is 7.5kw would this be ok
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
There is a graph to show how long it should take to trip a B32 MCB with any given current over 32A.

45.7A (10.5Kw) will be over 10,000 seconds that's over 2.5 hours so normally it would not trip even with a long shower. So likely the MCB being heated up so many times has become weak.

Although the big red book says 10,000 seconds I find it is a little quicker than that so having a smaller shower is a good idea. However since the trip is likely weakened being heated up so many times may be a go idea to change the trip as well.

If not already on a RCD the using a RCBO would be a sound move.

Many consumer units can't be isolated else where and I would therefore consider this is not a DIY job.

Surely, a 10.5kw shower shouldn't be on 6mm cable though? I'd have thought the cable needs changing to 10mm at least. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
... problems ... tripping the fuse ... I got a plumber to have a look
You got a plumber to look at an electrical problem.

Why? :rolleyes:

Surely, a 10.5kw shower shouldn't be on 6mm cable though?
47A Ref Method C.

I'd have thought the cable needs changing to 10mm at least. ;) ;) ;) ;)
Shall we take those 4 ;)s in a row to mean the usual - i.e. there's not a grain of seriousness in your post?

I didnt ring the plumber specificaly for this job he was just sorting a leak under bath i just asked if he could give any advice sorry to of been a bit vague. Thanks to everyone for there replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back