shutting cold tap hard turns boiler on...why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a WB 400RSF combi.

When I close my cold kitchen sink tap hard - it's a quarter turn ceramic type - it turns the boiler on.

My theory is that the water hammer caused by closing the tap sharply transmits through the water system and into the hot water side in the combi, and the shock wave flicks the flow switch on, thus setting off the hot water cycle.

Has anyone else experienced this and know how to cure it?

Sponsored Links
Only normally happens where there's air in the pipe, possibly in a dead-leg. Unless you have extremely high mains pressure like 8 bar, in which case fit a pressure reducer.

Sponsored Links
have of heard this happening before and was told fitting non-return valve on mains inlet to combi stopped it, phone up worcester technical to see if this is allowed as also small ex-vessel may also be required on the boiler side of NRV. let me know if it works

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back