side abutment how to??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone any advice on a pitched slate roof side abuttment to a party wall?
My plans show lead under the gutter with a plywood "valley support board" under that again...is there any other way?..Will i be able to get one single sheet of lead for this(its 24 foot long).
Ive looked around my are but no-one else seems to have done this and any builder mates i have seem to not have a clue how to go about it!!

Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
Havent started it yet so no photos(just getting mental preparation!)...its a side abutment to a single block party wall...20 degrees slate.
I can possibly show a photoof the plans but they just show a lead lined valley...dont even show a gutter.
Have been doing some reading and read somewhere about using GRP...this the new way?...sounds easier than lead and ive experience with GRP.
So any suggestions on how best to do this be great.
Cheers,
Martin

24 feet ...not in 1 piece of lead :eek: .....as you`ve grp experience ....go for that ;) ...sounds like a secret gutter........do a google on lead/ secret gutter...you should find the detailing and then just sheet it with grp... :idea:

Sponsored Links
Looked @ secret gutters...really dont think they are what im looking for.
The pitch goes from house to party wall...so there will be a wall plate mounted to side of party wall which joists will sit on...i then need to put some kinfd of guttering between wall and rafters.
Cheers,
MArtin

You should be able to do this with soakers and a cover flashing see here

If a secret gutter is required it can either be formed with lead (in 1.5 metre lengths lapped 150mm) details here or with preformed GRP sections which are available in 3 metre lengths from roofing merchants

Cheers for that guys but i think i must be using the wrong terminology...all those pics are of where a pitched roof runs down against a wall...mine is running into the wall...so the gutter whatever it will be will actually be running alongside the wall...ill try and get a pic on the net of something similar but im not having much luck yet(maybe its cos i dont know what its called!!)
MArtin[/img]

martyc said:
i think i must be using the wrong terminology
I think you mean parapet gutter(?)

roof1.jpg

Yes parapet gutter it is!
So whats the best way to do this...lead on its own i imagine would be prone to leaks...is there some type of guttering thats available as a totally sealed unit or whats the norm.
Cheers,
MArtin

Gutter Lining about £5 per metre, so it should be a lot cheaper than lead, I have bought a few products from this company, they are very helpful as well

I've noticed you're in Ireland, I'm sure they can deliever to you or they may have similar products in your country

Thanks masona...will contact them today and see what they say.
Do you just use that stuff instead of lead or instead of lead and a gutter?
Martin.

You need to make a box section with something like exterior plywood for the gutter lining then give them the shape and size you want, give them a ring, they are very helpful and will answer your question you need to know. They have all sort of kits for down pipe etc depending how you want to do it.

Masona,
Thanks a mill for all that...really appreciate it.
Martin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back