signing on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
cant work for for 9-12 weeks so i need to sign on and i could do with a bit of info,
i phoned the 0800 number for www.direct/gov.co.uk and got chatting to a lass and it basically boils down to who is going to pay my statutory sick pay, either the employer who i verbally left last thursday or the dhss. i may be able to get it topped up a bit but im not holding my breath as her indoors works full time.
anyone got any advice they would care to share please as this is a new situation for me and while i dont distrust the people on the end of the phonelines im sure i willed be signed up to the latest scheme or box that suits them.

Sponsored Links
hi libby/nickso i am amazed i have finally gotten a reply after 200+ views,
the reason i am out of work is i had a new hip fitted on the 5th august and am currently sat at home going up the wall.6 week checkup on sept 12th when i swop the elbow crutches for sticks, hopefully. its all been very good, the Queens hospital at burton on trent were first class.
i am now on contributions based "employment support allowance" of £67.50 a week, i cant have anything income based as the wife is working more than 24 hours a week.i picked up a small infection in the wound and i even had to pay for the prescription for the anti-bioctics FFS.
i was thinking that now would be a good time to top up my training in certain areas but im watching the costs as no work no pay.unlike colleges i dont think manufacturers will reduce their charges for the unemployed and the jobcentre will not pay for thr training after you have reached a certain level i.e. if you are gas safe
its been a bit of an eye opener but at least my health will is improving. its good not to limp and to have two legs the same length

Sponsored Links
Whatever you do Terence, follow the consultants advice about walking upstairs and downstairs etc. A friend of my dad's had a new hip then completely ignored the doc's advice and ended up back in hospital after only a few months. Apparently a second operation is even worse than the original hip replacement. He was told that if he ignored the advice, they wouldn't operate again.
My dad had a new hip some years ago and followed the advice to the letter and has had no problems at all.
Best of luck with the new hip. ;) ;) ;)

good point john, 3 months w/o earning is bad enough but to repeat it making it nearly 6 months would be very difficult

so did i, i thought im in for a second ear bashing,"lie straight in bed or you,ll dislocate " this is impossible by the way ,ive never slept on my back in my life

Keep your chin up mate & you're doing the right thing, trying to get on as many courses as you can. Your health is everything & you have had a major operation, so take it easy for a while.
All the best mate.

Sponsored Links
Back