Sime Digital Format boiler cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new Sime digital formet boiler fitted a few weeks back. all was working perfect until 4 days after install and the hot water stopped working.

I am still waiting on the clock to be fitted, so was operating using the on off switch next to the temp indicator.

The heating is working fine when i switch it on and set to winter. but when we turn on a hot tap the temp comes up to the 60C and then the boiler seems to trip.

the installer thought it was the flue and moved it a little, but i do not think it is the flue.

Anyone got any ideas? :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
You have not updated the situation.

Quite clearly your installer has no ability to do simple fault finding.

So what is the current position?

Tony

The engineer came round on Friday and spent three hours trying to find the problem, then again on Sunday for four hours. He spent the whole time going through each part, starting with the flue, pump, hot water divert valve, and also looking at the settings. he had no luck in finding the problem.

We tried to reset the water temp from 60C down to 50C, then turned on the hot water. as soon as the water got to 50C the boiler shut down again. I tried calling Sime and they told me the best bet was for him to call them when he was infront of the boiler, then they could try to sort it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Anyone who can spend 9 hours trying to find a boiler fault must be very incompetent. I hope you are not paying him because it is covered by the installer's and maker's guarantees.

The boiler is under warrantee and I dont understand why you have not called them to sort it out.

Or is the installer not Gas Registered ?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony,

No I'm not paying him. The problem is that he did the instal as a home job, and when he is trying to sort the problem the Sime lines are closed.

Yes he is Gas Safe Registered, but is relativley young (early 20's).

I thought there was a problem like that.

You should check on this forum about these jobs on the side.

Simply, he is only gas registered when working for his employer!

He will not be able to notify your boiler to building control. Sometimes it even causes a problem with the warrantee and maybe thats why he is reluctant to call out Sime.

Tony

That explains a lot. he did say that when he has completed the job, that Scottish gas should come out to do a first vist and get it onto my homecare agreement.

Thanks for the Info.

In my view he has conned you and I dont think you should pay him until he has found someone to notify BC and completed the Benchmark certificate.

You dont need any boiler cover for several years as it will be covered by Sime and the installers warrantees.

Tony

Sounds to me like the boiler is not modulating down ?? on hot water ?

Get Sime out its under warranty !

All,

Thanks for the advice on this one, for your info the installer has come back a few times and has finally found the problem.

The system still had some gunk in the system and it was blocking the heat exchanger in the boiler, which in turn was cutting out when it got too hot. the system was power flushed and the additives put in, but there must have been a few pockets of the iron oxide settling in the radiators.

he has flushed the system again, and installed a mag filter, and basically an hour after doing this it all started to work OK. he tells me that it will take a week or so to work effectively, and he is coming back later in the week to clean the filter and add a protective agent.

So the boiler was not faulty just the system still had dirt in it. :mrgreen:

Also checked with the building control for my council and they have said that all they require is the gas work to be done by a competent person. and as for the gas certificate, the installer is going to get this done for me.

Thanks again for all the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back