Since when building regulations are in force ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to kindly ask you to advise on 3 questions I have regarding building regulations.

1.I own a 70's town house and decided to find out from our local council what modifications were registered with them. To my amazement there are only two records - windows and loft insulation.
Based on colours of cables, the wiring in my house was routed (and modified) before 2006, so previous owners (or contractors) didn't bother to notify building control.
What about other modifications, like new boiler fitted around 95 and any modifications to the structure? Since when the building regulations required notification of work or self certification of the work?

2. The previous owners have "converted" downstairs toilet to create additional space for washing machine, with all piping connections left as they were, however, as this was not registered as modification, we wanted to reconnect the basin and the toilet. Our local inspector however thinks that this was a modification and new notification with compliance. Do you agree that temporary disconnection of appliances require compliance with new regulations?

3. Is it possible, under the Building Regulations, for a "DYIer" (person without formal qualifications) to fit new boiler in accordance with relevant documentation (Building Regulations, approved documents and manufacturer manual), get it tested by a Gas Safety engineer and then get it signed off by a local Building Inspector? Adviser from my council was very vague and first stated that the work can be carried by anyone as long as regulations are obeyed and system is tested by a qualified engineer (or council inspector) but later changed his mind and told that a registered engineer must do the work, which defeats the object of building inspection.
I can't find any specific information in any of the latest approved documents, nor in the Building Regulations. Old Part P document (2006 edition very recently replaced with 2013 edition) only mentions that a DYIer must notify Building Inspector and seek guidance on required inspection.

Sponsored Links
Is it possible, under the Building Regulations, for a "DYIer" (person without formal qualifications) to fit new boiler in accordance with relevant documentation (Building Regulations, approved documents and manufacturer manual), get it tested by a Gas Safety engineer and then get it signed off by a local Building Inspector?

Not an easy one... two issues Gas Safe signing of work not done by that person. They say don't. however the person signing off the work will be held responsible for any deficiencies. If they are signing it off then they can notify BC. Trying to do the work yourself and then getting BC to sign it off... well a wormhole will open up and you will disrupt the space time continuum.

The Gas Regulations define what is 'work'. insurance company will not be impressed at covering any fault issues if they happen to cause damage.

Do all your work let the reg guy install the boiler and commission then sign off.....you keep your sanity and the world is saved.

Gas Safe [was CORGI bless em :rolleyes: ] Self certify boiler for BC happened 2005

Technically it is legal for a DIYer to install a new boiler (or any other gas work). It's rather tricky though because the gas safety regs say you must be competent - and that effectively means having had the right training which it's highly unlikely anyone outside the industry will have.

In terms of notification, just send in a building notice application, do the work, send in the completion ticket. It's up to the BCO to work out what testing it needs !

However, I would really, really advise that you don't do your own gas work. As Weedrip says, do all the ancillary work and get someone in to fit the boiler. If you read the manual carefully, you should be able to have all the pipes (apart from the gas) in ready, the hole cut for the flue, etc before he arrives.

As to questions 1 and 2, I'd have said "JUST KEEP QUIET". Don't even ask the BC office about any previous work, and especially don't even mention anything that you think may not have been notified. Had you said nothing, then you could have put the loo back as it was and no-one could have proved it hadn't always been like that (you are allowed to replace the loo anyway if there was already one installed - that's not notifiable).
However, now you've asked the question, the BCO now effectively knows that there wasn't one. Still personally I'd just stick the loo back in and say nowt - there's not much chance of them finding out, and the worst thing they can do is come along and make you comply with regs if the installation was substandard. Assuming it does meet regs, then AFAIK there's naff all they can do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back