single foil insulation boards ..help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hubby is insulating a wall and the insulation boards only have foil on one side do we face foil into room or face outside, please help we are arguing over it :) thanks

Sponsored Links
The primary purpose of the foil is to help reflect radiant heat back to the room and so improve the insulation value.
However, it will -to an extent- also act as a vapour barrier. A vapour barrier helps prevent moisture vapour from the room from percolating through the insulation and condensing on the cold (original wall) side.
So in your case, you would be better with foil-side to room.
(Who was arguing for which? :LOL: )

The primary purpose of the foil is to help reflect radiant heat back to the room and so improve the insulation value.
However, it will -to an extent- also act as a vapour barrier. A vapour barrier helps prevent moisture vapour from the room from percolating through the insulation and condensing on the cold (original wall) side.

think i am answering on this all wrong, don't know what to clcik to reply...anyway i said facing into room and i also said it should have plastic between that and plaster board, would i be right :)

Sponsored Links
[ i also said it should have plastic between that and plaster board, would i be right :)

Doubt it would be worth bothering with plastic. Assuming you're putting the insulation boards between battens or studs, why not just tape over the joints with gaffer tape or equiv.? That way the whole lot would be reasonably vapour-tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back