Single oven connection to existing kitchen ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the following within regulations.....

Fitting a built-in single oven connected to the kitchen ring main on its own spur from the ring?. The final connection will be either (a) The oven's 3-pin plug in a socket on the spur (if the oven has a plug fitted) or (b) oven flex wired into an appropriately rated FCU, probably a 16A FCU.

The specific oven is yet to be chosen but is likely to be no more than 3kw. It may or may not be fitted with a 13A plug (that seems to vary from one manufacturer to another, even when the current draw is below 13A).

Thoughts

Sponsored Links
Certain ovens are designed to be 13 amp and that implies they will be fine on a standard kitchen ring circuit.

My thoughts are always that a seperate circuit is a better design due to the demand placed on the kitchen ring.

Throw in a kettle, a toaster, a dish washer and a tumble drier all in the circuit and the load will be over the design of 30 amp.

So yes you can connect it to the ring, just be mindful that overload might happen should you have a heap of appliances running at the same time.

There is no such thing as a 16A FCU. If the load is over 13A then AIUI you cannot supply the oven from the ring while complying with regs.

Annoyingly there are a lot of single ovens out there that are rated at just over 13A. As such if it is reasonablly practical to do so I would install a dedicated circuit even if the oven you plan to fit initially is below 13A.

Firstly, thanks for the replies.

The summary therefore seems to be that I will be within regulations if I ensure the oven is below 13A but the breaker is likely to trip with lots of applicances running. It's not ideal but I may run with this solution for now given that this is a secondary oven and could be disconnected if it prooves to be a pain. I guess I shall bite the bullet next year and pull a new partial run of cable into the kitchen, remove the extisting connection to the kitchen ring, joint the cables to convert to a radial connection, all in 2.5mm.

Sponsored Links
So then you have two radials on 2.5 TE limited to 20 amp loads.

Nice idea given that 2 x 20 amp is a better spread than 1 x 30 amp. Problem is the threshold would then be less.

So the oven sits on one circuit, and the rest of that circuit is limited to 7 amp if the loads are simultaneous.

There's certain things that are likely to be on at the same time, oven, hob, kettle and toaster. Then the washers for dishes, clothes and maybe a tumble drier. Your call since only you know your lifestyle.

Would it really be that hard to get a new circuit run in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back