Sink below consumer unit in garage?

Have you considered extending the hot water pipe from kitchen or bathroom ?

Sponsored Links
That doesn't surprise me at all. Like I mentioned above there is safe and there are best practises.

I'm going to get a price for a seperate 63A feed from the house CU, through the lounge celing cavity and out to the garage CU. Looks like I will be needing 16sqmm so pretty hefty stuff.

I was wondering the impact on the main incoming switch on the house CU though. Think that's only rated at 63A (or might be 100A). I can forsee a potential problem there!

I'm going to get a price for a seperate 63A feed from the house CU, through the lounge celing cavity and out to the garage CU. Looks like I will be needing 16sqmm so pretty hefty stuff.
Don't do that - get a price for splitting the tails and going via a switchfuse to the garage - there are nothing but disadvantages with supplying via the house CU.

As BAS mentioned a feed from the main intake avoiding the house cu would be my preference.

As for garage load, maybe the lights would be on when the hw is being used I doubt you'd be washing hands and using tools at the same time.

How easy would it be to run a cable garage to main intake / meter area?

I'd suggest a 10mm cable, builders cu with rcd and 3 ways for mcbs, lights on 6 amp, water heater on 20 amp and sockets on 20 amp radial. Since some diversity can be factored in the rcd could be a 40 amp 30 mA item.

If the cable is routed nicely you could do away with swa and go for NYY. By nicely, the exposed route mustn't have any potential for mechanical damage.

Sponsored Links
When I finally had my 'boiler upgrade' they reckoned my HW cylinder was knackered and replaced it. It came with an integral immersion heater and I noticed that the installer had fitted it with a 13A plug and had run a spur from the upstairs ring into the airing cupboard. This ring supplies gadgets like a couple of computers, radios etc. I have a Building Works compliance certificate to cover the whole job. I have put the plug into one of those plug-in RCDs for added safety as my CU needs upgrading eventually when I have the dosh. I did ask the Gas Safety inspector about this arrangement (he came as part of their regular checks on gas installers and found the boiler job to be a good one). As for the electrics to the immersion, he said that he could only report on the gas side of things but we 'have to live in the real world' and to run a separate connection to the airing cupboard would add hundreds to the bill - my setup was by far the most usual in his experience, even if technically against the regs.
Apart from that, it's perfect.

You didn't have one before.

WhatHe said that most immersion heaters only heat part of the cylinder water - is that right?
What a stupid thing to say.

Do the rest of the immersions heat the other part of the water?

Let's hope he's better with gas.

Edit - Sorry, silly me, that would mean ALL immersions only heat part of the water. So SOME immersions heat ALL of the water. Buy them in future.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll let the sparky take a look and see what he says. You've all been a good help.

Immersion heaters (or secondary coils) will heat all of the water in the tank - just not all to the same temperature in the same time.
That's why de-stratification pumps are fitted to some HW tanks to blend the water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back