Sink waste with no centre screw, how is it attached?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question - I have a sink waste I want to remove but there's no centre screw like I'd have expected. In its place is just a small flat piece, almost like a the head of a rivet or something. I can't lever it out and from underneath I can't see any screw/nut/bolt or similar. Any idea how its held together and how I can remove it without too much damage?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Can you post a pic? I would expect to see a large nut underneath. Undo that and push the waste out.

Can you post a pic? I would expect to see a large nut underneath. Undo that and push the waste out.

I can't take a pic at the moment, but it's exactly like a normal sink waste with a centre screw on top, except the "screw" has a thin, flat, featureless head instead of a normal screw head, and from underneath there's no sign of nut or anything.

Sponsored Links
You will have to post a pic, they also have 2 piece waste which you have to stick a screwy through the drainage holes to secure then twist the bottom out

xiTlMWl.jpg

I can't seem to flick the "cap" off to find something underneath it, and the view up into the underside of the waste doesn't reveal any screw or nut. I'll just cut it out if need be but would like to do it gently if possible.

Look like a worn screw head or screw head grinder out.

Destroy it by breaking off the black plastic bit at the bottom of sink.

Replace it with new combi waste fitting.

Daniel.

It's done - I used a hacksaw horizontally through the under-the-sink parts and right through the middle "bolt". The post mortem revealed no nut, no thread, no clue as to how it was actually held together. Strange!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back