Skim bead shape/shadowing showing through new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've put this in a separate thread to the dotting & dabbing because it's a separate issue & the other thread could end up having more help towards one issue rather than the other. Plus anyone having a similar issue in future could maybe find this thread & it could help them.

I've asked online before & i was told this is part of the drying out process, but it's been a further couple week & there's no progress.

Basically the plasterer used skim beads for corners & you can see the shaping of the skim bead through the plaster on most of the corners. It LOOKS kinda damp/shadow like, but it doesn't FEEL damp.
You can't feel the bead itself, but you can see the shaping. There is 1 corner that is totally fine & i think this would be the corner that would possibly get the most sun.

I asked a builders merchant rep about this & showed him the photo. The photo was a bit of a poor one to be fair, but his words were - "the idiot hasn't put enough plaster on there".

Some of the photos...

Bit of a distance shot:

Close up:

Another corner:

The solitary perfect corner:

I've read various things - let it dry out, paint it, stain block it, oil paint it, do this, don't do that, someone else comes in & says don't do what the previous guy said do do & do do what the previous guy said don't do.

From the better photos what do you think? Who is correct & who isn't? Is the rep right - not enough plaster? Is it just needing drying out?
Does it just need some stain blocker painting on (if so, which) before it can get properly painted?

Sponsored Links
Nothing to do with' not enough plaster' on it.

It is moisture, but what do you think is the cause?

Nothing to do with' not enough plaster' on it.

It is moisture, but what do you think is the cause?
To be perfectly honest, i don't have a clue.

After reading & forgetting more than i'd like to, is it the cold metal bead & the warm(er) air causing moisture? Or is it likely not that complex & something very simple?

I wonder why the rest of the walls have dried out perfectly fine yet the bead areas haven't.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back